This week, PwC published their 14th edition of The Australian Entertainment and Media Outook 2015 – 2019. The study forecasts advertising spends to increase by 4.8% from 12.9 billions in 2014 to $16.4 billions and internet advertising set to account for more than 50% of the total Australian advertising market by 2019.
Innovation through disruption is a key focus for the success and growth of the industry where start-ups have potential to contribute $109 billion or 4% of GDP to the economy by 2033*. Despite innovation being pretty poor in Australia due to multiple hurdles from the lack of investment in R&D to universities not delivering enough quality research, the study gives a voice to some significant entrepreneurs and investors who are trying to inspire that change in the economy.
‘While technology underpins nearly all disruptive start-ups, innovation goes beyond technology and can be applied to service, relationships, content, distribution, business models and funding.’
In the feature on the emergence and usage of mobile in the society, PwC describes how much technology has influenced business models from brands urging them to shift to consumer-centric solutions, as well as publishing and advertising landscape being shaken by agile ad-tech players, revealing how data is becoming a competitive advantage to survive on this market.
This week I have been luckily selected to attend a half-day training session at Google on HTML 5. And this was really one of the most inspiring one I have had since I arrived in Australia (2009)!
To begin with, I’d like to give a quick & very top line explanation of programming languages for those who are not familiar with this already – so you can skip this part if you are: HTML is a semantic markup which is used to layout visual creative as well as Flash, CSS is for style & formatting whereas Ajax is used for linking/calling databases. All those are used congruently to create websites, web pages, apps, ad units, etc.
In brief, if you work in digital, you cannot ignore those unless you’re a suit and never got involved in production. And even now, it’s hard to do without because most of our clients also understand it to some level, which is great!
Historically, flash has been the market leader technology to develop animations and was used in most of the websites developed back in 90’s up until 2004 – remember when your computer would prompt you to download flash to see a website which had trendy creative? However, with the rise of smartphones & tablets (note this year, mobile devices overtake PC devices), and accordingly to Adobe’s announcement last year confirming there will be no further development done on this program, meaning flash is DEAD. Why? Well, simply because flash does not provide a good enough experience on devices using iOS or Android!
To demonstrate better how mobile has become the future off the web, let’s look at the Australian market stats:
43% of all media interactions occur exclusively on mobiles and tablets, the remaining 57% interactions occur on (TV, Print, Outdoor, PC)
100% of Smartphone owners have researched a product/service on their phone
72% of tablet owners make purchases from their device weekly
28% of shopping searches on a smartphone have lead to a purchase on a PC
Source: Our Mobile Planet Q1, 2012 & Australian Online Landscape review, Nielsen, June 2012
As a result, HTML 5 is THE only open source language for building start-of-the-art web solutions in our multi-screen environment: it enables more creative touch points & actions without hard coding: touch, swipe, pinch, tilt, shake, rotate, GPS integration and much more.
But, you will ask, how is Google involved with that? Well, since Google is a publisher, it is in it interest to provide the best experience to their user, through their browser Chrome, but also through their advertising platform: Double Click Campaign Manager (DFA 7). Chrome being the #1 browser in the world, it is core that Google is looked at as a technology leader which enables the developers community to come with innovative solutions, again for user but also for the advertising market i.e. brands and advertising agencies. And Google is going even further in providing (free) tools to us such as Google Web Designer.
And how is that beneficial for brands? As using flash provides a better user experience across all browsers, all devices, all OS, all platforms, it also reaches a bigger part of the users which increases engagement. All that for a more effective budget, since you don’t have to create multiple creative for multiple device.
Enough of talking, let’s have a look at the best in class case studies we have been taken through (using Chrome):